Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The ongoing quest for truth- Psalm 51

One of my favorite passages in the Bible is found in Psalm 51.

David is repenting of the sin he has committed against God. He has been confronted by Nathan as to his sin with Bathsheba, not to mention the murder of Uriah. Psalm 51 is the natural outpouring of a guilty man who has realized his filthy heart compared to the perfect God.

I think this passage is a great example of our reaction if we truly understand our sin and God's holiness.

One can never go wrong by beginning everyday by repenting for the ways we depart from the ways of God. If I can remember to sing the song written after verses 10-12, I think my heart will be more focused on hearing God's will for my day.

Create in me a clean heart, O God
And renew a right spirit within me
Cast me not away from Thy presence O Lord
Take not thy Holy Spirit from me
Restore unto me, the joy of Thy salvation
And renew a right spirit within me

Amen

As a side note, I find it interesting when David talks about the Holy Spirit. Is this the Holy Spirit we think of? Often it seems we equate the HS with only arriving at the day of Pentecost, but this passage (and Isaiah 63:10-11) seem to suggest the HS was also present before this time. Hmmm... something to chew on.

No comments: