Thursday, June 12, 2008

The 57th Psalm

Today's adventure in scripture was provided by Psalm 57.

This Psalm is a plea for God's protection.

I am always amazed at the things David will make songs about. You could almost say David is one of the first people to make angry, almost hard-core-like lyrics.

I lie down among those who want to devour me;
men whose teeth are spears and arrows,
whose tongues are a sharp sword.

Yep, David has a way with words.

In this Psalm, I am struck by David's confindence in God at the end. The situation with his enemies has not been resolved yet, but David acts like it has.

I am determined, O God! I am determined!
I will sing and praise you!
Awake, my soul!
Awake, O stringed instrument and harp!
I will wake up at dawn!

David knows God will take care of his enemies. Notice it does not say God what way God will take care of it, but that He will.

David ends with one of the most amazing requests anyone can make of God:

"May your splendor cover the whole earth!"

Let it be

No comments: