Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Daily Scripture- Psalm 30:

Today I read Psalm 30.

This Psalm begins with David praising the Lord. He is singing of the wonderful things God has done. This culminates in David declaring, "For his anger lasts only a brief moment,
and his good favor restores one’s life"

Next David tells of the terror of God's wrath. "Then you rejected me and I was terrified." For a man who was a shepherd and fought lions and bears with only a staff and slingshot, I do not think he takes the term "terrified" lightly.

Then David cries out for mercy. He pleads, "Hear, O Lord, and have mercy on me!
O Lord, deliver me!"

When God responds to David's cry, we see David praising the Lord Almighty. He informs us, "So now my heart will sing to you and not be silent; O Lord my God, I will always give thanks to you."

Two things really stand out about this passage to me. First, David's insistence of God's goodness and grace given to all mankind. In verse 5, David declares God's anger only lasts for a moment, but God's grace and goodness can restore life. This is a declaration of God's love overcoming his anger.

Second, I am struck by the fact that David was right about always giving thanks to God. David's words, even today, are still praising God. Those who follow God live on in the legacy they leave. God blesses those who follow. David is also praising the Lord in heaven.

No comments: